Tuesday, March 6, 2012

I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY

Well, I had a great idea for a blog post, but now I'm not feeling it, so I'll put that one on the shelf and post about something else for today.

I'll post about cowboys.

I am in no way an expert on cowboys. I've ridden a horse on...well, maybe two occasions (one where the horse was tied to a post and someone led it around). I've shot a gun on even fewer occasions. One pair of boots, I think, when I was 5 (or maybe that was a dream). But there is a cowboy living somewhere inside me, there must be. One word: Lazenby. One of my greatest heroes is my grandfather, Albert Lazenby, whom I consider a true cowboy. He died when I was about 11 and perhaps that is part of why I have this cowboy void that needs to be filled.


I loved to dress up like a cowboy and play cowboys when I was little. I've always loved watching cowboy movies. Two of my favorite movies of all time: Young Guns and Tombstone. I've always wanted to be in a Western.

For many years, I have toyed with the idea of writing some kind of cowboy story--a screenplay, to be specific. Well, I've talked about it for a long time, even started one story or another, but last night I actually finished my first step down the cowboy screenplay path--a very small step, but a step nonetheless. Last night I finished writing a very, very short screenplay about cowboys. A comedy Western short. I wrote it very quickly, so it's not perfect, but I knew that if I didn't just write it and stop waiting for the perfect idea that I wouldn't ever write it. I wrote it. It's written (well...typed). It's currently being reviewed by a few trusted critics, and next week we'll shoot it (starring the Redux Brothers).

Now on to the next step, a much bigger one. I begin my journey now to write a full length screenplay about a cowboy. As I write and discover the story, I will post about my progress and experience from time to time. I'm hoping this will help keep me motivated. I will keep posting about it until it's out of theatres and released on DVD (if I maybe so bold).

I can't believe I'm actually doing this. Thrilled. Excited. Anxious.

More to come--I'll keep you posted.

3 comments:

  1. I believe in you, pardner. You and cowboys were meant to be. And your screenplay was HILARIOUS! The future big screenplay is sure to be a success.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice tribute to Grandpa! He would like that, and you will be famous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think you can get a better cowboy name than "Lazenby." If you have never seen "Open Range" with Kevin Costner and Robert Duvall, you should. First rate western.

    ReplyDelete